Monday, February 18, 2013

Does God Help Those Who Help Themselves?

I'd like to believe so, even though the phrase comes from Greek philosophy. I could never believe in a faith practiced by one who does nothing, whose spirituality is so relaxed and reticent that nothing is required of the person.

I believe that God blesses and God provides, but surely not for the the slothful and expectant, not for those who think God owes them grace.

Christians always claim that, "We can't obey the law, so let's not even try". That is totally wrong! Does that  mean we go out and murder and steal and rape, simply because we can't be 100% righteous?

Does depending on God means waiting around for God? What about work, and diligence? What about plowing stony ground? What about sincerity? In a way, I am an Arminian. I don't believe that God by "hook or crook" preserves me against  my will, but that God's preservation is the power to persevere.  I believe that God cannot help us unless we first want to help ourselves and make the first steps to do so, or that God may want to help us, but if we will not be helped, then we will reject Him.

No comments: