Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Is Healthy Eating CONTRARY to God's Ways?

What would your answer be, that "Yes, because Jesus is healer". I find that too simplistic. The question is, perhaps, "Is my whole life consecrated to God as a living sacrifice and do all my actions deliberately reflect that?" Am I deliberate about what I eat, drink, and wear? 

The rule is Jesus First, Others Second, Yourself Last. Meaning, the rule regarding food is that it must firstly honor God, then be helpful to others, and lastly only nourish me.

I take eating a healthy diet the same as keeping God's moral commandments in this sense - Jesus is my Savior and the forgiver of my sins, and yet, I don't go out and murder and steal and wrong other people! That would make forgiveness cheap! Instead, I practice righteousness, knowing that my righteousness cannot save me.  In the same way, Jesus is my healer, and yet, I don't go out drink poison, and should avoid man-made foods that are just as good as poison in the long run! Instead, I practice wise nutrition and stewardship of my body, knowing that that cannot save me like Jesus can, but also knowing that I cannot ever take Jesus FOR GRANTED. My body is the Temple of the Holy Spirit, and all physical actions must correspond to that.

The question then is, in eating wisely, are we trusting God 100% or man? The same answer then would be, in obeying God and following Christ as disciples, are we trusting God's righteousness or our own obedience? Faith and obedience, trust and action are eternally inseparable. Jesus also said that if we are poisoned by snakes, we will not be harmed. In the same way, if we confess our sins, He will forgive us.

We don't walk by the flesh but by the spirit. But that by no means what occurs in the flesh does not count, but rather, the flesh must be a reflection and outworking of the Holy Spirit in me.

Meditating and thinking through Scripture avoids oversimplistic and ridiculous assumptions that will make the world mock Christians not because of the cross of Christ but because of our own lack of integrity and wisdom.

No comments: