Saturday, August 9, 2014

Supernatural

What is supernatural?

Love is supernatural. Laying down one's life, going out of your way to give help to someone underserving - that's supernatural. That's amazing. That's what shakes principalities and powers.


What is supernatural? Jesus coming down to earth, humbling Himself and taking on human form. That is supernatural obedience, coming from the supernatural grace of God.

God's love is supernatural. It is supernatural to be unselfish, supernatural to forgive despite being wronged, supernatural to stick out your neck for someone else, someone you

It is supernatural to admit you made a mistake and ask for forgiveness.

It is supernatural to be kind to the least estimable, to the weak, to the undeserving, to the downtrodden.

It is supernatural to cling to faith and continue to hope in the face of the greatest despair.


Those things are some of what the Bible teaches us is "supernatural", beyond what we naturally are as humans - at best complacent, at the least actively destructive. I know there are many things about the "spirit world" that I do not understand, and beyond what the Bible explicitly teaches, I feel I do not need to - the great, awesome, physics-defying feats I believe to be God's business and God's prerogative, not gimmicks for me to employ.

 I feel what I should focus on is what the Bible reiterates again and again, because I believe in the love, mercy, forgiveness, and kindness of God, and I believe that when we are His instruments in these, we are privileged to be engaging in the "supernatural".

No comments: