Thursday, December 19, 2013

Taboo

I don't believe the Bible asks us never to speak again of our former lives, of our sin. Sure, He casts it in the depths of the sea, but the fact is,

Firstly, we are thankful towards Him for saving us from our sin. We must never stop being thankful.

Secondly, it is our testimony - what He has done for us, where He has brought us from, what He has saved us from, and then where He has brought us to and saved us for. This was Paul's testimony - read his many accounts of his salvation. Paul basically says, "Look at how He has saved me - the chief of sinners!"

Thirdly, it is a mark of maturity and security when we are not "superstitious" about our "Word of Faith" or confession of sin/salvation. The contrast between light and darkness should be clear.

We must first confess our sins and ask for salvation to be saved from them, isn't it? We must first admit that we're sick and ask for healing before we can be healed, isn't it? How can Jesus heal us or forgive our sins if we don't think we need to be forgiven or healed in the first place, if we're proud or if we think we're perfectly fine without Him?

It's not fundamentally doctrinally wrong to say it differently, it's just that the attitude of the statement just doesn't match up to Scripture.

Therefore, in summary, I don't believe that I shouldn't talk about my old man, my former sin. It is a vital part of my testimony of God's goodness. I am not ashamed to confess the fact that without God, I am a hopeless sinner, that without His mercy, I would be a completely different person today.The two - sin and salvation - "go hand in hand" in that sense. I don't think I'll "tempt the evil eye" or "lose my salvation" by proclaiming facts - that I was sick, that I was a sinner, and therefore I needed Him, and therefore, He saved me.

"I am weak, but He is strong."


I don't believe in superficial and flimsy "positivity", burying my head in the sand, or repeating mantras to myself and convincing myself that they are true, as if my emotions were some kind of positive force, or that I can force things into being. (Yucks).



God puts to shame the words of the wicked. No matter what they speak, it will come to nothing. I believe that the verse in Proverbs (18:21 to be exact) has been taken grossly out of proportion, misunderstand, and falsely taught. Our words can be destructive and negative, therefore we shouldn't speak "lashon hara" (with an evil tongue). I'd rather see it as a warning against false speech, false witness, lies and gossip more than anything else. We should not slander and defame, speaking words of destruction. We also should not be like the ubiquitous "contentious woman" of Proverbs.

The warning can be applied as such, for example:


  1. Don't speak gossip
  2. Don't slander
  3. Don't bear false witness
  4. Don't speak in anger
  5. Don't speak to cause contention

Isn't that simple and practical, rather than superstitious and pseudo-positive/pseudo-spiritual?

No comments: