Monday, October 4, 2010

Hallowed Be Thy Name

יהוה
By Ps. Lee Shaw Ming


This Name was not meant to be forgotten!
Did you know that the Heavenly Father has a name? The surprising truth is that the Name of the Creator, יהוה is found 6,823 times in the original Hebrew Old Testament or Tanakh, more frequent than any other word, yet it was translated away and concealed by translators (translated to ‘LORD’, some translations like ASV 1901 uses Jehovah) who believed it was too holy to use. However, many names of the gods of the heathens were transliterated and preserved in the Old Testament (eg. Baal, Dagon, Moloch, Molech, Meni, etc …). Bear in mind that although translations of the original God-inspired Scriptures into many languages help to bring the word of God to the whole world, yet the translations and translators themselves are not considered God-inspired in the level of the original authors and Scriptures. 


How important is it to know and to use the correct name?
Scripture leaves no doubt as to the importance of our Heavenly Father’s Name!
Note: The Hebrew letters for the Heavenly Father’s name יהוה (YHWH) known as the Tetragrammaton and transliterated as YHWH (generally pronounced as 'Yahweh', 'Jehovah' or 'Yehovah'), have been used throughout the original Old Testament in Hebrew. The Hebrew word יהושע (Elohim) has been translated into the English word 'God'. The Hebrew word 'Elohim' means 'Mighty One' or 'Most High'. 


Who has established all the ends of the earth? What is His name, and what is His Son's name, if you know it? (Proverbs 30:4)


The following Scripture references speak for themselves...


I am יהוה (YHWH) that is My name: and My honour will I not give to another (name), neither My praise to graven images (Isaiah 42:8)


Sing unto Elohim, sing praises to His name: extol Him that rides upon the heavens by His name YAH, and rejoice before Him (Psalm 68:4)


You shall not take the name of יהוה (YHWH) your Elohim in vain, for יהוה will not hold him guiltless that takes His name in vain (Exodus 20: 7, This is the Third Commandment.)


Thy Name O YHWH, endureth forever; Thy memorial, O YHWH, throughout all generations (Psalm 135:13)


I will take the names of the Baalim out of her mouth and they shall no more be remembered by their name (Hosea 2:17 . 'Baalim' is the plural of Baal. Baalim = Lords)


I will declare Thy Name unto my brethren, in the midst of the congregation will I sing praise unto Thee (Psalm 22:22 . cf. Hebrews 2:12)


And it shall come to pass that whosoever shall call on the Name of יהוה (YHWH) shall be saved (Acts 2:21 and Joel 2:32)


Therefore, behold, I will cause them to know, this once will I cause them to know my hand and my might; and they shall know that my name is יהוה (Jer 16:21)


who try to make My people forget My name by their dreams…, as their fathers forgot My name for Baal (Jer 23:27)


And there is no one who calls on Your name, Who stirs himself up to take hold of You; For You have hidden Your face from us, And have consumed us because of our iniquities (Isaiah 64:7: 7)


And from the New Testament...
I have manifested (revealed) Thy Name unto the men which Thou gavest Me out of the world…John 17:26 And I have declared unto them Thy Name and will declare it (John 17:6)


'Hallowed be Thy Name' Matthew 6:9
• The Hebrew Name of the Messiah, יהושע, Yeshua is the only Name by which He was known to His disciples. 


What is His name and what is His Son's Name, if thou canst tell? (Proverbs 30:4)
• The name יהושע (Yeshua) literally means “יהוה (YHWH) is salvation”.


John 5:43 I am come in My Father's Name and ye receive Me not, if another shall come in his own name, him you will receive…John 12:13 Blessed is the King of Israel that cometh in the Name of יהושע…John 14:13-14 And whatsoever ye shall ask in My Name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If ye ask anything in My Name I will do it.


...for there is none other Name under heaven given among men whereby we must be saved (Acts 4:12)


And when we all had fallen to the ground, I heard a voice speaking to me and saying in the Hebrew language, ‘Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting Me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.’ So I said, ‘Who are You, Lord?’ And He said, ‘I am יהושע (Yeshua), whom you are persecuting (Acts 26:14-16)


He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name (Rev 3:12)


Editor: Let us remember the name of our God and remember that He is the God of Israel, knowing that the Jewish nation is still the Israel of God. For יהוה hates divorce (Mal 2:16) hence 'God hath not cast away his people which he foreknew' (Rom 11:2) and 'But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people' (Rom 10:21) and continue to do so till this day.


More information and a longer article, found at: http://thekingdompeople.blogspot.com/

No comments: